The World’s top 5 Most Energy-Efficient Cities

  • -

The World’s top 5 Most Energy-Efficient Cities


Over the years, building a sustainable planet has become more and more important with countries all over the world actively joining the fight to combat climate change and build an environmentally friendly future for us all. As sustainability has become a priority certain cities have excelled in being green. 

1. Reykjavik, Iceland

Reykjavik in Iceland has taken the top spot, and rightly so as it’s a city completely powered by renewable energy.Along with the rest of Iceland, Reykjavik relies on renewable hydropower and geothermal plants to provide all of the heat, electricity and hot water for its more than 120,000 citizens. The plan for Reykjavik is for the city to be completely independent by 2050, having no reliance on fossil fuels at all.

2. San Francisco, California

San Francisco has been at the forefront of sustainable living for many years, in 2007 it became the first US city to ban the use of plastic bags, this has saved over 100 million bags from being thrown into landfill each year. It topped the charts in the 2013 American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economycity scorecard.

3. Malmö, Sweden

Most of Sweden’s energy already comes from nuclear power and the country has reduced its consumption of fossil fuels by 25 percent from 2008 to 2012.The Western Harbour in Malmö is completely powered by renewable energy from the sun, wind, hydropower and biofuels.

4. Vancouver, Canada

Vancouver has high hopes that it will become the world’s greenest city by 2020. While that may seem like a big accomplishment in a fairly small amount of time, the city is well on its way. Hydroelectric power already accounts for 90 percent of the city’s energy supply, while the other 10 percent includes renewables like wind, solar and wave power.

5. Portland, Ore

Portland has an excellent reputation in terms of its commuters with over 25% of its workforce either travelling by public transport, bicycles or carpooling.

Register / Sign In

Contact Us

Call Us Free: 0800 054 2577